Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Core Strength Part II: What is the best way to add functional strength to the core?

 Core strength is the buzzword, and along with the buzz comes everybody’s favorite core workout.  In a previous post, I said, if you google core strength the plethora of entries fills several pages.  It’s been going on for years. (Does anybody remember abs of steel?)  So what is the best way to strengthen the core?  Google will tell me right? At The Pilates Studio, our instructors hold the position that there is no “best” way to strengthen the core. The infinite variations in musculature and strength along with tightness and weakness, means that developing core strength happens on a case-by-case basis.  To further this idea, let us all think back to middle school PE (If its too traumatic don’t think back just read the following as if it never happened to you)

In middle school PE, we had fitness tests.  This meant we had to test our flexibility and strength and our scores were compared to “the norm.” Now imagine me, in middle school an awkward ballet dancer.  Be sure not to picture Baryshnikov, picture a math geek with gigantic brown glasses in ballet class.  Yet, as it turns out the dancing math geek passed the fitness test with flying colors. I had the hamstring flexibility and I could do the push-ups, and most importantly I could do the sit ups.  You remember, those sit ups where someone holds your feet and you continue to sit up as fast as you possibly can for a minute.  So according to this fitness test, I had great core strength, but one would never know it when looking at my over tall middle school posture.  Did I stand tall and utilize my brilliant core strength?  Well NO, out of sheer spite and determination I could do the sit ups (more of them than most in fact) but I had no idea how to use this core strength functionally in the world.  I didn’t know how to use my core to protect my back.  I didn’t know how to use the core to improve my dance performance, and I didn’t know how to use the core to improve my posture.  Core strength is of no functional use to anyone if it is not accompanied with body knowledge.  Along with core strength a person must know how to use the core in everyday movement!     

This brings me to the previous post.  At The Pilates Studio, when a new client comes and says, “I need more core strength.”  I ask, “Why?”  Not because I think that core strength is bogus, but because the goal tells me how to approach the buzzword of core strength.  I previously gave four definitions of the core (this doesn’t mean that I think there are only four definitions of the core.)  This post includes one video that can begin the journey of functional core strength for most any person.  The following video is an example of one workout design that is geared towards the very beginner, and addresses core definition one. 

Core Definition I – I use this when I work with a client who comes to me and says, “I need to strengthen my core to relieve back pain.”


This video shows a beginner core workout that will help increase lumbo-pelvic stability. It has the following exercises. (If you have trouble viewing the video due to size, feel free to click the youtube link to view it there.)

1.     Pelvic curls – For Pelvic Floor strength as well as lower abdominals
2.     Leg Slides – Pelvic Stability
3.     Thigh Lifts – A Bartenieff Fundamental™ for Psoas Strength-
4.     Bridge – Lumbo-Pelvic Stability with Hamstring Strength
5.     Sidelying leg lifts – Gluteus Medius Strength
6.     Quadruped – Strengthening the Front of the Spine
7.     Abdominal Curls – More abdominal Strength
8.     Single Bent Leg Strength – This is a more complicated exercise for abdominal strength. 

In subsequent blog posts we will post other videos for furthering the functional core strength of the body, but if you are a beginner try these exercises for about two weeks so that the next step is easier and more fulfilling.

And always remember if you have a question about Pilates in general or other fitness opportunities in the Amherst-Northampton area, please feel free to CLICK HERE to ask.   We respond quickly and are happy to write a blog post geared towards you!

Katrina Hawley C.M.A, R.S.M.E

No comments:

Post a Comment