Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Foot and Knee Pain


Last week I was reminded of the importance of the foot once again.  Over the past year you may have noticed that I’ve written a few different posts about the foot and exercises for the feet.  We have “Stomping Out Foot Pain with Pilates,” “Recipes for an Agile Foot,” and “Recipes For a Strong and Flexible Ankle” Not to mention the Pilates Exercise of the Day Blog dedicated the entire month of July to foot and ankle exercises.  It may seem that I’m obsessed.  I was even beginning to think so, but then a client came in with a foot question, we went on a foot tangent, and that tangent led to a decrease in her knee pain. 

With this information in mind, I once again started to compose a post about the foot. This post was to relate the foot to knee pain.  As I was writing I felt I was composing words that were very similar to what I had already written.  To check, I reread “Stomping out Foot Pain with Pilates” and with a little curiosity, I looked at the stats for that post.  And then I was floored.  That post has been seen twice as much as any of the other posts in The Pilates Studio’s blog. I could toot my own horn and say that the writing was brilliant so of course my post was seen so many more times, but I think realistically the trend here is that people are googling.  And people are googling about the foot and foot pain.  People are looking for different ideas about the foot.  People are starting to understand the importance of the foot and its relationship to knee, hip, and back pain.  The feet are being seen as more important in overall health.  So am I obsessed?  Well, not anymore than the rest of the google population…

I took this obsession to the University of Hartford’s Hartt School.  It’s the first week of classes and as faculty we observe the placement ballet classes to make sure that the students are placed in classes suited to their technical development.  Well as I was watching the students, once again I was observing how they use their feet.  Are they using their feet efficiently? Are they applying the foot articulation exercises built into the ballet barre to the work in the center?  And if I noticed that a student wasn’t articulating the foot efficiently, I asked myself what I knew about that particular student’s injury history, and well I must admit I was starting to see some correlations of the movement of the foot to ankle and knee injuries.  Was I ticking the data in any way that I could present scientifically as if there is a correlation coefficient of +.98 between movement of the foot and ankle and knee pain?  Well no not at all, but lets just say these observations didn’t dampen my foot obsession in the least.    

So will this be my last post about the movement of the feet?  I think it’s fair to say no.  Most likely at some point in the future I will feel compelled to write about the feet again and probably then again.  The good sign is the google stats are on my side we are a world obsessed with the feet.  They are our connection to the earth, they give us the spring in our step, and when they hurt they hurt a lot.  Ahh yes, back to my client’s foot and her knee pain, I simply taught her this “Recipe For an Agile Foot.” And it relieved her knee pain.  Will it relieve everyone’s knee pain?  I don’t think so, but I am confident that it should be a part of the puzzle for anyone out there!

Katrina Hawley C.M.A, R.S.M.E
Co-Director of The Pilates Studio      

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nice sharing here. As I know Unloader knee bracing may be is another good solution for knee pain. Recent trends declare that the usage of Unloader knee bracing in conjunction with Injectable treatments such as Hyaluronic Acidity (HLA) or even Platelet abundant plasma (PrP) offer you the next step frontward with alleviating the actual suffering connected with OA. Read one more review just for this identical subject matter on:
      http://kidbuxblog.com/pain-in-the-knee/

      Delete
  2. Foot massage and Pilates exercises of feet are very useful to get rid of foot pain problems.These exercises are easily done in the home and get good results in less time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 hours ago – I had foot pain 2 yrs ago so dr put me on allopurinol 300mg. I was ok until 3 weeks ago when my? ... right big toe became very painful. last night ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really good information that you provide here about Foot and knee pain. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes these exercises are best to reduce knee and foot pain. We can increase muscles strength through this workout.back and neck pain bergen county , low back pain bergen county

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi this one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff
    Great article ...Thanks for your lovely post, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.for more details something like visit pain clinic tampa get more informations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, you explained the topic very well. The contents has provided meaningful information thanks for sharing info if you want more information something like visit pain management las vegas get more details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if you have any knee pain than rather than being your own doctor consult the professional .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for such an amazing post. I just want to say one thing that rather being a self-healer, go to a doctor in case of a joint pain, especially a knee pain. I myself went through the same stage and tried many medicines and cures. But I finally got help from Quality Nature's joint supplement.
    http://www.qualitynature.com/joint-maintenance-extra-strength/
    Though, you should see what suits you best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly superb blog, I don’t have actual words to praise in regards for this
    knee brace reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool blog you got here and thank you for the valuable info.
    Whiplash

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is a wonderful information about the knee pain and its consequences and also highlights the different therapies available at Physiotherapy North Ryde to overcome the knee pain with full and detailed information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many people suffer from foot pain, they can not walk, they feel pains pain in their knees and foot, foot exercise is most important for these people, people are googling about knee and foot pain, exercises should necessary part of the body, exercises make us healthy with help of Chiropractor near Dee Why who can manage the pain in a more better and effective way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pilates can be an effective method for relieving knee pain, and when combined with Physiotherapy in Brookvale, it offers a comprehensive approach to strengthening the muscles around the knee, improving flexibility, and enhancing overall knee joint stability, resulting in reduced discomfort and improved mobility.

    ReplyDelete