Friday, March 29, 2013

The Development of Baby's Movement at The Pilates Studio


The importance of tummy time for infants has become mainstream.  Every parent leaves the hospital with the idea that his or her baby must have enough tummy time to develop properly!!!  I can't count how many mothers I've heard fretting about whether or not her baby is spending enough time lying on his or her belly...The funny thing about it is while most new parents know that tummy time is important, they don't always know why.     They don't have a thorough understanding of development movement and why it might be important.  This makes this next announcement so exciting.  The Pilates Studio is bringing Lenore Grubinger to The Pilates Studio on Thursday afternoons at 1pm.  Her class will be for moms or dads and babies, and it will give any parent a few tools to aid her infant through the exciting movement milestones.

My first encounter with developmental movement was at the Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies.  The developmental movement theories of Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, who developed Body-Mind Centering were covered with some of the Bartenieff Fundamentals.  I remember pretending to be a baby moving through the movement stages.  We crawled, but before we crawled, we creeped and we scooted.  Basically, if you had walked in on our class, you would have seen 8 grown women rolling around on the floor. I remember at the time I didn’t see the wisdom of learning these patterns, and my teacher said just wait until you see someone working with a baby. 
Learning to use the big toe to push off, and I still got it!

The next time I was able to revisit these patterns I was studying embryology with Tom Myers.  He moved us through the patterns, and I remember feeling like I was returning home.  The patterns didn’t seem foreign; they seemed comfortable, necessary, and releasing.  I was beginning to see the wisdom in maintaining these patterns.  But I had still not seen someone working with a baby.

And finally yesterday, after fifteen years, I got to see Lenore Grubinger working with a baby.  I knew Lenore's name from the first time I learned these patterns.  Instantly, I knew I was in the presence of a master.  She helps moms help their babies.  During the class Lenore included us (The grownups) in the movement activities.  I loved every minute of it.  I want every baby in the world to be able to be in this class. 

Let the new moms in your life know that Thursdays are baby days at The Pilates Studio.  Enjoy these pictures, and see the magic for yourself.  Any mom or dad can bring his or her baby that is 0-12 months old.  They might as well take the BYOBaby class that happens the hour before.  All the babies of the valley are welcome from 12-2 on Thursdays at The Pilates Studio.

Katrina Hawley C.M.A, PMA-CPT
Director of Instruction at The Pilates Studio

Facilitating lateral flexion

Using a Toy to create reach

Look at how happy this baby is




1 comment:

  1. Once the baby has arrived, you can make it personal by adding the baby’s name, date of birth, time of birth, length and weight. Be sure it is all accurate, but then have it sewn or engraved into something the parents will treasure for years to come.

    ReplyDelete