Friday, July 26, 2013

Pilates and Rowing


About four years ago, I took a two-week “Learn to Row” course with Northampton Community Rowing.  I loved the pristine water in the morning, learning the biomechanics of rowing, and feeling the boat move through the water as my eight companions and I synchronized our strokes…These were all parts of this two week course that I loved.  Only one thing kept me from repeating it, and that was the fact that leaving my house at 5:30 am everyday for two weeks was just too much. I’ve always said that I am a bad teacher before 8 am, and well it turns out I’m not the greatest student either.  And so after two weeks I chose sleep, and with that my rowing career ended.  At least that is what I thought.
Notice the posture


Fast forward quite a few years, I am still teaching Pilates, and a client enters the studio for her first session.  She rows.  It is her passion.  It is her life.  This client ROWS!  The only trouble is that after an accident, rowing now causes pain and she can’t do what she loves.  She asked me, “Do you think I will ever be able to row again?”  I said, “Let’s see what we can do.”

Pilates retrains the body, Pilates creates functional strength, and Pilates returns people to the activities they love.  So yes, to end the suspense, I will say that I am positive that my client will row again!  We have worked with many aspects of the rowing stroke. We have broken it down and retrained her body in foreign environments and we are now just beginning to put the stroke back together again in a familiar environment.  First of all, I must give credit to Polestar Pilates for sharing this idea with the world.  To create functional strength you change movement patterns in a foreign environment (whether it be the relationship to gravity or the point at which resistance or assistance is given) and then take these new movement patterns into the familiar and begin to integrate the new patterns into functional movement.  This has always been a very effective way to work with knee or back pain, but this is my first attempt at reconstructing the rower’s stroke.

First, we changed the body’s relationship to gravity.  We started in a supine position and worked with joint disassociation (moving the legs and the arms without moving the pelvis or the spine), Then we took these movement patterns into a familiar relationship to gravity, and this is where the fun began.  I love teaching the many classic Pilates exercises, but my favorite part of the session is when we look at the equipment and use the pilates principles to make stuff up!  The following video is how my client and I turned the reformer combo table into an erg rowing machine…No this new exercise does not incorporate the power of the erg, but it does simulate the biomechanics.  And it certainly challenges that balance. 

I hope you enjoyed it!  I love this kind of problem solving!  It’s the best part.  My client is up to 10 minutes on the erg.  I am positive she will be in the water soon!

Katrina Hawley C.M.A, PMA®-CPT
Director of Instruction at The Pilates Studio

4 comments:

  1. Picking out the very best rowing machine may be really a overwhelming endeavor. There are lots of models, designs and styles all with their distinct established of characteristics (and downsides). Never ever to point out the various benefit ranges, it is plenty of to build you dizzy but tend not to throw within just the towel just nevertheless a result of the simple fact we are suitable here that will assistance.This useful resource is built especially for individuals such while you who want to locate the great advantages of owning their particular. Use our guides and rowing machine reviews and that indicates you is often self-confident that just after you make a get it will ultimately satisfy your preferences. rowing machine reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool you inscribe, the info is really salubrious further fascinating, I'll give you a connect to my scene.
    best-hair-trimmers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this article. I'm in my 40s and haven't seen much exercise in the past 10 years, still riding on the memory of being very active in my 20s and 30s and freakishly strong for my skinny body type. But now I've got the belly and just checking, my biceps are smaller than supposed to be. :( lol

    (Side note, I won an arm wrestling contest in a biology class with a 30 something Pilates enthusiast fellow-student. It lasted a long time, a nail biter. So proud. Then I found out she was pregnant. Oof! lmao)

    Anyway, I've been looking into both rowing and Pilates and want a machine I can use at home, but WHICH? Your article solved that issue for me. Pilates. Get back up to snuff with Pilates first. Excellent. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete