Thursday, April 19, 2012

There are no words!

I have been searching for words of gratitude all week.  I have been searching for the perfect phrase that I could write that would reflect how grateful I am for the community at The Pilates Studio.  I have scoured the internet for the perfect quote about gratitude. I have even recruited the help of a literary friend to find the perfect poem for me…Yet, I haven’t found the perfect words because when I think about how lucky I am to work where I work I am rendered speechless, with a large case of writer’s block…This causes me to vacantly stare at the screen and think there has to be words for this feeling…and when they don’t come I hit google again…and the cycle continues!

At some point in this process, I found the following quote: 

When eating bamboo sprouts, remember the man who planted them.  ~Chinese Proverb

It’s not a perfect quote, but when I read it I looked at the bamboo on the counter at the studio.  This bamboo keeps me company every time I write a blogpost.  It has accepted many a gaze as the search for words takes me away from the computer screen.  It has watched over all of us as we greet people that walk in the door.  This bamboo has heard every fit of laughter that has happened in the last year.  This bamboo was a gift of congratulations from a client when Laurie and I bought The Pilates Studio.  If this bamboo had arms and legs, I am sure that it would join every mat class for the sheer joy of moving. 

As I was staring at the bamboo, I started thinking about the last year and the wonderful people that walk in the front door everyday.  I thought about all the stories I’ve heard, I thought about the hugs that I’ve received.  I missed the clients that I haven’t seen.  I worried about clients that are ill or injured.  I thought about all of the people and animals I’ve never met, but somehow I feel like I know them because someone that goes to the studio loves them.   I thought about how long I have been teaching in this space.  I thought about the happiness, love, laughter, grief, elation, anger…Okay its been enough time that I have experienced every emotion there is to be felt in this room.  I thought about how lucky I am to have a business partner that is both my best friend and perfect balance.  I thought about the teachers that are here, and again I thought about the clients.  Then I thought okay now I’m ready to find the perfect words.  I turned back to the computer and once again stared at a blank screen because there are no words…

That’s when I decided to tell you the story of the bamboo and trust that my actions will show my gratitude to each and every person that walks in the front door, I am a mover after all.  So I will close with THANK YOU, and hope that the capslock key does the trick!

With love and appreciation
Katrina Hawley C.M.A, R.S.M.E

No comments:

Post a Comment