Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pilates Instructors at The Pilates Studio Part III: Anneliese Mordhorst

Today I have the pleasure of writing about my friend and The Pilates Studio’s fabulous instructor Anneliese Mordhorst.  I met Anneliese in 2006.  She contacted me to ask if I was interested in teaching a Laban Movement Analysis course that was required as a pre-requisite for her application to the Somatic Movement Training.  I had no plans to teach this work, but within two weeks Anneliese had secured a space found another person to take the course, and we were able to enter into a Laban journey…First of all, anybody that has any interest in Laban Movement Analysis is a person worth knowing.  During the six to eight weeks this course progressed I got to see Anneliese’s brain working.  Every question she asked was based in thought, analysis and curiosity.  It was also really exciting to watch her move and to take the time to integrate new movements into her body without worry or judgement.

Later, Anneliese and I worked at The International Somatic Movement Education and Therapy Association (ISMETA).  It is in this work that I was able to witness and admire the organization of Anneliese’s thought.  I watched her almost single handedly take an organization to the next level of professionalism and administrative efficiency.  It is also her work with this organization that has exposed Anneliese to many different movement modalities.  When Anneliese is working with a client at The Pilates Studio, she draws from a diverse movement background.  Anneliese’s Pilates students benefit from this diversity and any pilates session that she teaches is rich with information of all kinds. 

As our friendship developed, I learned of Anneliese’s commitment to sustainable living and the local community.  I remember driving to New Haven to catch a train to New York for an ISMETA board meeting and learning about the recycled vegetable oil that was powering her Volkswagon.  I was fascinated by the story of how it was converted and I admired her commitment to the car.  On this same trip I learned of all of the winter farmer’s markets in the area, and it was from Anneliese that I learned of eating food within 100 miles of you.  (This was before Barbara Kingsolver’s book by the way) Anneliese was ahead of the curve and because of her commitment to sustainable living, the valley is a better place.  

With our friendship established, I can’t tell you how excited I was to have Anneliese at The Pilates Studio.  When she started studying at The Pilates Studio, she and two other instructors spent time learning new exercises and discussing how these exercises could benefit different clients.  It was the beginning of a great collaboration between all of our instructors.  Anneliese’s innate ability to listen and her compassion towards the feelings of every person in the room bring calm and peace to The Pilates Studio.  Whenever she enters the studio I find myself exhaling with a mellow smile.  Anneliese also has an inquisitive passion for learning and I have never see her walk away from a challenge.  Her peaceful energy passes from person to person, and we are all lucky to know her. 

Anneliese teaches a reformer class Mondays at six pm, and is also available by appointment for the introductory package.  To schedule an appointment or to contact Anneliese feel free to contact The Pilates Studio   

No comments:

Post a Comment