Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Instructors at The Pilates Studio Part II: Kay Cowperthwait

When I think of Kay, so many things come to mind…Iron Lady, Hockey Player, Mom, Friend, but none of these words describe the essence that is Kay, the essence that makes me shout, “KKKKAAAAYYYY!” whenever she walks through the door. 

I met Kay four years ago. (I can only remember that because her son is four and he was four months old when I met Kay)  She became my client after giving birth to Tate (her son).  Tate became our mascot at the Studio for a while.  He would come into the studio with Kay and sit and watch, and then later crawl around, and then later run jump and throw balls!   What fun it was to watch Kay learn Pilates and bare witness to a wonderful caring mother.   It was also fun to make Kay work hard.  She is so strong and such an accomplished athlete, that I was able to teach a lot of work that was more complicated and challenging.  It was great to explore with Kay this other side of Pilates.  To explore how Pilates can be rehabilitative, but also how Pilates can be an excellent and challenging cross training method for the most accomplished athletes.

During this time, I was also able to hear Kay talk about her own personal training clients.  I got to hear the care with which she worked.  I found in Kay a kindred spirit that approached fitness the way that I did.  And now four years later…Almost five actually, I get to work with Kay.  I get to hear her teach at the studio.  I get to hear her frame corrections positively always being aware of the person that is getting the corrections.  I get to hear Kay’s genuine interest in her clients as people.  She hears and values each story that a client says.  She listens with wonder and amazement at all of the diversity in the valley.  

Kay also brings her knowledge of athletics into the Studio.  She can train golfers, tri-athletes, hockey players, soccer players, or any other athlete.  She can relate to the mindset, she understands what is necessary in the game and can improve performance.  The Pilates Studio is lucky to have Kay, and her family as part of our community.  If you ever get a chance to ask her about Tate, or Sophie, you will hear the wonderful way that she understands her children, and then you can imagine how she might put that understanding into her work with her clients.  She sees people for who they are without an agenda, and creates workouts that are perfect for their bodies and their goals.

If you have any interest in setting up a private session with Kay, please contact The Pilates Studio we’d be happy to make the appointment!

Read about Kay here!  On Wednesdays you can find her on the ice in Greenfield, MA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment