Thursday, January 19, 2012

Zumba and Pilates can coexist!

Last week I wrote about the New York Times…This week I am writing about the Hampshire Gazette.  When we work towards finding health and balance, we need all the help we can get.  This means that we have to ask the newspapers and media to be a part of our support!  I sent the following to the editor of the Hampshire Gazette and I wanted to share it here as well. 

I was recently appalled at the New York Times over their article "yoga is wrecking your body" I was infuriated not because the article was poorly written but because it was presented in a sensationalist fashion that created fear in those that have practiced yoga and found benefit. This article even staged pictures with the cast of a broadway show attempting yoga poses that no yoga instructor would callously give to a new student. It was sensationalist and did no justice to what could be a fabulous discussion. I expect more from the New York Times. 

I also expect more from the Hampshire Gazette.  On Tuesday January 17th, 2012. The Hampshire Gazette published an article entitled, "Zumba is in, Pilates is out." once again pitting fitness practices against each other without awareness of what is actually being said. It showed little depth in the reporting and undermines and belittles a movement in which people are making healthier choices. Pilates and Zumba are completely different practices. That can coexist in any fitness life, and pitting them against each other shows little knowledge about either practice.

I was also frustrated with the article because it made light of the struggle people have to make changes in their lives. Every New Years people joke about getting fit for the month of January, and then "falling off the wagon." What if instead of expecting failure we support any person at anytime that finds movement towards health. What if we celebrated those choices and the plethora of choices we have in this valley!

I love the Hampshire Gazette and the way it represents our wonderful community. Maybe that is why I am so disappointed in this article. I imagine an article entitled "Getting healthy in the New Year" this article that I see in my minds eye explores the many different resources in the valley for health and awareness describing the different benefits without comparing or creating a false hierarchy. This article would allow the people of this great valley to make healthy choices without belittling or increasing the chance of failure! I challenge you Hampshire Gazette please be the local paper I want you to be!

Thanks
Katrina Hawley
Co-owner of The Pilates Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment