Tuesday, January 3, 2012

In Memoriam to Alexandra Dawson

 There is no word for Goodbye
By Mary Tallmountain

Sokoya, I said, looking through
            the net of wrinkles into
            wise black pools
            of her eyes

What do you say in Athabaskan
            when you leave each other?
            What is the word
            for goodbye?

A shade of feeling rippled
            the wind-tanned skin.
            Ah, nothing, she said,
            watching the river flash.

She looked at me close.
            We just say, Tlaa.  That means,
            See you.
            We never leave each other.
            When does your mouth
            say good bye to your heart?

She touched me light
            as a bluebell
            You forget when you leave us;
            you’re so small then.
            We don’t use that word.

We always think you’re coming back,
            but if you don’t,
            we’ll see you someplace else.
            You understand.
            There is no word for goodbye.

I first read this poem when I was seventeen years old in an English composition course, and over these last eighteen years, I have lugged the thick and heavy anthology for this course from apartment to apartment and bookshelf to bookshelf because I love the poem that much.  However, I am very lucky in my life to have little reason to think of it….The internet and technology have provided the means to keep us virtually connected to everyone…except in…


This past weekend the Hadley community lost a very special friend.  Alexandra Dawson was the epitome of a woman ahead of her time.  She went to Law school before women went to law school.  She started fighting for the environment before people started fighting for the environment.  Because of Alexandra, the town of Hadley has 3000 acres of preserved land.  Because of Alexandra, Massachusetts has legislation that preserves wetlands.  Because of Alexandra many people have been inspired to move and fight for what they believe in, and her work will live on in the great many that she inspired.

In my relationship with Alexandra, her modesty only let me know very small snippets of her vast accomplishments, but I knew of her brilliance because of the way she thought about the body.  I witnessed her problem solving skills, and her rare ability to look outside the normal realm of perception. I witnessed her determination and perseverance.  She would ask me questions during a session that reversed many of my own views.  Every facet of Alexandra's life was about democracy.  She would listen, contemplate, and be sure to let me know if she agreed or disagreed.  She was fierce, and gentle.  She was passionate, and funny.  She was nurturing, and bold.  Alexandra has left a mark on my life, just like she has left a mark on many others.   When I heard of her passing, I thought of this poem because I am not ready to say goodbye to Alexandra…so I will say Tlaa and remember all that she taught me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment