Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Instructors at The Pilates Studio: Part I Suzanne Mente

At The Pilates Studio we have six fabulous teachers, and recently I have had the honor and pleasure to write a recommendation letter for one of them.  After six months of working to write essays for this blog I was amazed at how easy it was to write this recommendation.  The words flowed off my fingers and as I finished the letter a realization came to me: The teachers at The Pilates Studio Rock!  It’s a plain and simple fact.   They are amazing beings that love movement.  Their varied backgrounds bring nuances to their teaching.  The clientele at The Pilates Studio are lucky to have every single one of them. 

Consider this the beginning of a series; let’s call it the AMAZING FANTABULOUS TEACHERS of THE PILATES STUDIO.  To begin the series I will use my letter of recommendation for our fabulous instructor Suzanne Mente.


To Whom It May Concern:

 My name is Katrina Hawley and I co-own The Pilates Studio in Hadley and am adjunct faculty at the University of Hartford in the Hartt School’s Dance Division.  I have known Suzanne for the past ten years as client, friend and student, and I have seen her coach both dressage riders and Pilates Students.

I met Suzanne Mente about ten years ago when she was first developing the Dressage team at the University of Massachusetts.  I was her Pilates Instructor.  At this time I was amazed by her curiosity to learn a new movement methodology, but more importantly her uncanny ability to synthesize the information and then apply it to her expertise in Dressage riding.  We would get in discussions about muscle imbalances and how to address them, but more importantly how to address them in a riding session.   We then began to create a collaborative relationship.  I would meet her at the University of Massachusetts Equine Center, and do a postural assessment on her students, and then I would give my two cents about muscular imbalances and Suzanne would then translate my two cents to the rider.  I always remember being in awe of someone who is so efficient in her instruction and along with this efficiency able to create an environment that is safe for both rider and animal.  It is a skill that I admire.  Imagining the dangers of riding makes me feel like it is a safer world when Suzanne is working with equestrians.

UMass Dressage team coach by Suzanne Mente
Over the years Suzanne and I have developed a friendship that is based on a common passion for learning and discussion.  I remember so many evenings that we have spoken about students and I have learned so much from her natural ability to work with older adolescents.  She can take a group of young women and create a collaborative team in which every personality has a voice.  Through her coaching style she facilitates friendships and camaraderie as opposed to competition and gossip.  She empowers young women to be better and stronger and caring.  She carries a passion towards the power in female friendships and she creates a team environment that is conducive to learning and development.

In the most recent years, I have been able to get to know Suzanne as a student.  I have trained her as a pilates instructor and am honored to employ her at The Pilates Studio.  Suzanne is a fastidious student.  She is excited by the new direction and opportunities that are coming to her.  …

Sincerely,




Katrina Hawley
Co-owner The Pilates Studio
Adjunct Faculty at The University of Hartford.


It was an honor to write this letter and it is an honor to publish on the blog of The Pilates Studio!  Suzanne Mente is a wonderful friendly addition to the staff at The Pilates Studio.  If you have any questions for Suzanne about Pilates and riding, or would like to set up an Introductory package with Suzanne, please contact The Pilates Studio for more information. 



2 comments:

  1. Found your blog. Its really nice on pilates instructor. I appreciate your article. Its important to get a good pilates instructor to stay fit and healthy. So thanks for sharing all that important information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is vey informative and intersting for me. Thanks you for a such a wonder ful article sharing for me. pilates body shape is the best studio for every one.We also offer yoga classes, booty barre classes, and personal training sessions.- Please read this informative Article to know about The Reformer pilates for Working out At Home . Visit our website to learn more and contact us now.

    ReplyDelete