Friday, December 28, 2012

Ten Ways to Recover After Shoveling Snow


Yesterday was The Pilates Studio’s first snow day of the year.  I really tried to get to the studio in the morning…I was even aided by a very helpful neighbor that was determined to push my car up the road until I hit pavement at the corner.  Well it didn’t happen, and once we got the car back into the parking spot, I went inside and then watched as the plow cleared the street effectively burying my car in clods and clods of snow.  Again I ventured into the world to start digging.  At first, I was saying I probably wouldn’t make it out of the parking spot, but its better to dig now than tomorrow morning.   Then something happened, as I continued to shovel, I became absolutely determined to get out of my parking spot.  Each time I bent my knees to propel a shovel full of very heavy snow, I knew I would succeed.  I knew that I would get to The Pilates Studio!

You might wonder why I was so determined.  You could say that it was because I wanted to be sure that my clients were able to have their sessions.  That I was that dedicated to being a pilates instructor.  I was determined to take care of every body that I could…You could say that, but then again…It wouldn’t exactly be true.

My determination came from a much more selfish place.  Each time I twisted my body through several planes of motion to hurl the world’s wettest most frozen snow, I began to think about the foam roller and how great it would be to lie on it.  Then with the next clod I started thinking about a psoas stretch…Then I even began to crave the magic circle (Really I was)…You see I became so determined to get to work, not to teach, but to recover from all of the crazy shoveling….Then  I thought about our little joke about the fact that there are only two seasons at The Pilates Studio:  Shoveling season and gardening season.   So I made it to the studio in time to do the workout I began designing while digging and digging and digging!

And here it is!

Each exercise title is a link to more information about that specific exercise on The Pilates Studio’s Exercise of the Day Blog.










Katrina Hawley C.M.A, PMA-CPT
Director of Instruction at The Pilates Studio

1 comment: