Saturday, December 15, 2012

Will Power, New Year's Resolutions, and The Pilates Studio


The New Year is coming, bringing with it the infamous New Year’s resolutions. Every year we gear up to have the will power to make change and lots of it.  But if you are anything like me come February you will be sitting in judgment of yourself because maybe you didn’t quite stick to the resolution. You couldn’t summon the power over your will.  I wrote about this phenomenon last year, in what is going to be the first of my annual “Anti New Year’s Resolution Posts” and consider this the second annual, “We are going at it all wrong with New Year’s resolutions” post!

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of new beginnings!  I love thinking about change, and finding ways to make healthy choices.  At the Pilates Studio, I am flummoxed by how many new friendships are created in the New Year.  We are even having a Winter Camp for those that want to jumpstart the New Year.  But it is my hope that our desires and our will can meld into a symbiotic relationship in which power is moot.  I would like to assert that new beginnings at The Pilates Studio will make will power unnecessary.

Let me tell you why:

You might find it odd, but exercise is not my favorite thing.  Yes this is The Pilates Studio’s blog, and I am a Pilates Instructor, but in all honestly exercise for exercise’s sake really bores me.  I am not one of those people that craves a 5 mile run (I actually don’t really like running).  The elliptical never happens unless there is a really great episode of Law and Order on the TV.  I am not the person that can’t sit still.  I am definitely not the person that would choose a hike over a really good movie.  Yet, I have been active all of my life.  Why is that? As a child I took Ballet classes, not because I loved exercise, but because they were fun.   Every dance class I took, I was having fun.  I was playing. I wasn’t exercising.  I trained for a triathlon once, but I didn’t really care about the event.  I was training with one of my dearest friends.  We were having fun, and wow do we have some good stories.  The minute we tried to “take it to the next level” I stopped; it wasn’t so much fun anymore. 

My point is this: Every time I have tried to start an exercise regime because of some insane feeling that I SHOULD exercise, I have failed.  I’ve fallen off the wagon. I’ve chosen to have a glass of wine instead of going to the gym. I’ve quit a swimming class because it was hard.   I’ve told my conscience, “You’re not the boss of me!!!!” Whenever I feel like I SHOULD exercise, I don’t!  I must totally lack will power!

Yet, I have led a very active life…Why is that? Because it is fun to be active, when you let go of the SHOULD. (You know that judging voice in your head that makes you feel bad about yourself if you are not absolutely perfect)  It is fun to be strong if you can let go of the “I SHOULD be stronger” It is fun to hike with friends, if you are hiking to be with friends, or see the stars.  If you are hiking because you SHOULD be hiking, then well, “blech” No fun at all. 

This soapbox has a point…For years in this world we have used the phrase will power as a way to force the human race into wellness submission.  You eat healthy because you have good will power.  You exercise everyday because you have good will power.  You sleep eight hours at night because you have good will power!  And I am here to say poo poo on that.  I have come to accept that if I don’t want to do something I won’t, and trying to make myself do something that I don’t want to do, is pointless! SO…What now???  If it’s not about will power and SHOULD what is it about?  Maybe it’s about finding community.  Maybe its about finding satisfaction…Maybe it’s about finding challenge.  I am not saying that we relinquish all structure and discipline from the world, but what if we let ourselves start looking at our choices without the idea of will power…Maybe we’ll start looking for fun things to do.  Maybe expression will be fun.  Maybe we will look for a movement class where the community of the class is as important as the movement.  Maybe we will look for a class that has as much laughter as exercise.  Maybe the way to be active in life is to stop doing what you SHOULD do, but what you want to do.

As I’m typing this I am listening to a mat class happening at The Pilates Studio.  I am reminded of how important community is at The Pilates Studio.  The focus and support among the participants is astounding.  I got to listen to friends greet each other with excitement.  A mother hugged her daughter.   As always around here the sense of humor of every person is on the surface.  People are getting stronger here, but there is so much more happening.  Getting to The Pilates Studio for class doesn’t require will power because people want to go!  The may not love the side lying hip series, but they get great benefit from the smile of connection they get from their neighbor.  Afterwards, a few people will linger.  They might have tea, and sit in the chat room.  They may ask questions or talk to a friend about weekend plans.  Someone may console another who’s hurting.  People don’t need will power to come to The Pilates Studio, because there is magic going on here!

Director of Instruction at The Pilates Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment