Friday, November 30, 2012

Sarah Reid writes about Pilates


Have you heard little snippets about our web classes?  Are you wondering how we came up with the idea?  Have you seen the chat room? Do you want to know who decorated it?  What about the Fitline Figurines?  Who could have inspired those?  All of these are examples of how the community at The Pilates Studio helps us develop our business!  They are examples of how our clients become dear friends…Examples of the way small businesses connect with the community around them!  Even when one of those friends move to Oakland to continue what is sure to be a brilliant interior design career!

There is Laurie teaching her class, and on the computer is Sarah coming to us from Oakland!
Sarah Reid moved away from us, but we get to see her every Wednesday and Friday when she comes to mat class through the Internet.  And now, Laurie and I are working hard to be able to offer Internet classes to lots of folks!  Laurie made the first Fitline Figurine to give to Sarah as a going away present!  And Sarah used her brilliant interior design skills while helping us pick paint for the studio and the furniture for the chat room!  And if that wasn’t enough she also wrote a wonderful blogpost about her pilates practice.  It made my day, and I instantly emailed her to see if I could share it with all of you!

So read below, and then click the link so that you can read all of it! And then read some more posts from Sarah,  I particularly like the one she wrote about her son’s eighteenth birthday!


How My Pilates Practice Is Also A Feminist Action


Okay! Now that I've ensured that exactly 3 people in the entire world will read this, let's get to telling them how my pilates practice is just one part of my overall feminism.
I hate to move. Honestly, if I could sleep all day I would. I admire and am greatly envious of cats. I have been known to not do laundry for weeks just because the washer is down a flight of stairs. Sometimes I will sleep in my bra because sitting up to take it off would be too hard. Also, the energy it takes to brush my teeth is noticable to me. Oh, and, I'm a feminist. Like, discovered that shit when I was 9 and clung to it like it was a life-raft in a sea of patriarchical blood-water filled with sexist water-demons (which is it) - we'll get to this later.

My whole life I've been tired, or at least I can't remember a time when I had a lot of physical energy to spend. Maybe my mother has another story for you. In any case, I spent my twenties trying to pretend I wasn't this way: joining gyms only to go once (mostly to impress a boyfriend), hiking way too many trails because my friends were psyched about them (and slowly dying inside), buying a bike that 12 years later still has the little rubber nubs that come with new tires. At some point I decided to stop pretending and get myself the right boyfriend, the right friends, and just embrace my laziness. READ MORE

No comments:

Post a Comment