Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Improving Posture with Pilates


When thinking back to childhood, who remembers the command “Sit up straight!”  It probably interrupted a fabulous daydream, and it might have even been bellowed from above where all of the grown ups seemed to exist. As an adult, I can look back and understand that the grownups of my childhood had good intentions. I understand the danger in the postures that I see created in children as their spines curl around the latest smartphone/ipod/ipad, but that doesn’t mean that I want to create the opposite effect.  Imagine a room full of kids sitting around the table, sticking their chests out, immobilizing their bodies into a “good posture”…I don’t know about you, but the word podpeople comes to my mind.  What if we replaced, “Sit up Straight!” with “Go roll around on the floor!” or “Do ten jumping jacks!’ or “tickle fest!”  The other night I was at a dance party, and had the opportunity to dance with my buddy Jack (he’s four).  He would start by holding my hands as we started spinning creating the centrifugal force of any space station, then he would let go with one hand continue the circle to the ground until I was spinning him around on his back.  He would continue spinning, somehow find the way to his feet, climb like a monkey up one side of my body, and wrap his spine around my neck. Then I would use my hands to guide his feet back to the floor, where he insisted on starting the entire process over again. Jack was playing, but little did he know he was also improving his posture through movement not stillness.

 In my practice, I see quite a few people that have trained themselves into this “straight” posture by throwing the ribcage forward and squeezing the shoulder blades together.  They show me this “good posture” and wonder why the base of their ribcage aches, or why they have limited range of motion at the shoulder joint, or why their arms have no muscle tone.  They talk to me about tension in the neck and shoulders and speak of stress related headaches.  Often they express frustration because they have worked so hard to improve their posture.   They are also often surprised when I start teaching them how to move their spine rather than how to hold it still….To create balanced posture, one shouldn’t try to create a straight spine, or a still spine, one wants to create a mobile spine.   We want spines that react to stimuli, spines that respond to stresses as opposed to spines that create stress.  We want a spine that connects our head to our tail.  We want a spine that bends forward, backwards and sideways.  We want a spine that rotates.  Yes good posture is important, but movement is magic.

So how does one improve posture with movement?  Where do you start?  The following video illustrates one way!  It uses the foam roller to begin adding movement to the spine.  As you watch it notice the sequential movement of the spine.  As you try it, imagine each vertebra moving individually.  Remember that your top vertebra is actually between your ears, and the base of your spine is your tailbone.  Find movement in each vertebra, and as always use your breath.  This is just an introduction so move slowly, and then take the time at the end to see if you feel different.

Have Fun!
Katrina Hawley C.M.A, PMA-CPT,
Co-director The Pilates Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment