Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Gratitude and Pilates


I have settled into my week at home with my family for this my favorite holiday (mostly because it doesn’t involve presents).  It is about something much more important, saying thank you…I am not immune to the mixed history that is in the Thanksgivings of the past, but for the moment, I want to focus on what it has become.  A holiday on which you gather with friends and family to laugh, eat, and drink, and hopefully express gratitude for what you have.  So this week while I am away from The Pilates Studio, I thought I would express gratitude for some of the amazing things at The Pilates Studio.

First and foremost I am grateful for Laurie Johnson. Do you like the tea that she makes each and every day?  I certainly do.  What about her ability to have a sense of humor about everything?  This week we are dealing with some plumbing “stuff”, I shall say and in her texts to me she has already created our “Survivor” team that is going to get us to the next challenge…(not to mention that she has been dealing with all of this while taking care of her beautiful son and his not so beautiful head cold.)  Oh and not to mention I am grateful for her creativity…grateful and inspired and amazed…So I am grateful for Laurie Johnson.  Oh yeah and she makes these.  Can you believe it?

I am also grateful for the other teachers at the studio.

Jenni Sussman for being available for anything.  She can make her clients laugh, while giving them a good workout.  She is constantly sending Laurie and I into a fit of giggles with her well-timed commentary on our interactions.  Not to mention that she is also an artist.  It is always so lovely to see the details that emerge in her work.  Jenni is committed to learning and growing and this can only be good for The Pilates Studio.

Anneliese Mordhorst comes high on my gratitude list…Have you seen the pictures of the BYOBaby class.  I am grateful that Anneliese has created a space at the studio just for mommas and their babies.  Her caring and calm attitude can teach pilates no matter what the distraction.  She can also see any situation and find ideas to improve it.  Her constant eye makes her teaching succinct and beneficial to anybody that experiences it.

Kay Cowperthwait is also one of our fabulous teachers with a fabulous sense of humor.  (We laugh a lot at The Pilates Studio)  I never tire of hearing stories of her two beautiful kids, and can’t help but jump into the amazing conversations that she has with her clients…Her interest in fitness is broad and she brings so much to the table.  I am so grateful that I have Kay who coaches both hockey and golf.  I am constantly asking her questions…She is able to take Pilates and apply it to so many things!  YAY! Kay

Last but certainly not least is Suzanne Mente.  I look forward to every Wednesday when she comes in for her class and we get to chat…In ten minutes, I am always laughing (I’m sensing a theme) I love to hear her talk about horses and the way she works with young riders.   It’s a special person that can understand animals like Suzanne.    

My heart is so full already as I am speaking about the wonderful people that I get to work with…but what about the people that I get to work for.  To the clientele at The Pilates Studio:  Each and every one of your stories makes my life so rich.  I am so grateful to have all of you in my life.  The community at The Pilates Studio is a small microcosm of what life should be for everyone, we should all move, we should all tell stories, and above all else we should all laugh, and not just because laughter is the best abdominal work ever!  

In closing, I wanted to let you know that I looked back to last year’s Thanksgiving post (because I think Katrina’s Thanksgiving Blogpost might just become a tradition), and it was a piece about Pilates saving my body in the Wyoming wind. Well, I am not sure that everyone believes just how windy it is here, so I will leave you with proof that it really is quite windy in Wyoming.

See you all next week!
In gratitude
Katrina Hawley, C.M.A, PMA-CPT
Co-Director of The Pilates Studio

  

No comments:

Post a Comment